Traditional Music: Something to Sing and Ring About!
Many have said that one of the most pleasant, rewarding and challenging activities you can be part of is singing in a choir. At American Lutheran Church we are blessed to offer numerous opportunities for adults, youth and children to participate in wonderful choral and instrumental music. Some of the congregation’s most dedicated people are the musicians.
HANDBELLS – All are welcome to join! Some music reading is helpful but is not required. If you have never rung a handbell before, we offer you an introduction to the instrument and teach you quickly how to play.
- Beginning Bells and Chancel Chimers will be combining in Fall 2018 to form a new handbell choir. This fun-loving group of all abilities plays beginning-to-intermediate level music on Tuesday evenings from 4:30–5:30 PM. No experience necessary! Everyone will be challenged to their own ability, learning new skills and working as a team to create fun music. This group is a great opportunity for beginning ringers to be mentored by those with more experience, as they prepare music for monthly church services, community outreach programs, and concerts. Come try out this nurturing group at the first rehearsal on Tuesday, September 4 in the Sanctuary.
- Peals of Praise is an experienced group of high school, college, and adult ringers playing six octaves+ of bells and chimes at an intermediate-to-advanced level. Rehearsals are Wednesdays, 5:00-6:00 PM. A commitment to attend all rehearsals (or find a substitute) is expected. The group prepares more challenging music for monthly church services, concerts, and community outreach programs. Contact Minister of Music, David Sherman for details.
- Sanctus is the primary worship choir for the church. Comprised of over 30+ members representing young adults to senior adults, the central goal of the choir is to worship God with its musical offerings. The choir participates in “The Big Sing,” Yule Fest with orchestra (regarded as one of the finest Christmas events in the area), and other special events throughout the year. Men’s and Women’s choirs come out of this group on a regular basis. Sanctus rehearses weekly on Wednesdays from 6:30-8:00 PM in the Music Room. All are invited to join.
- Youth Choir is comprised of students in grades 5-12. We sing monthly in worship and participate in Yule Fest at Christmastime. The choir rehearses weekly on Sundays beginning August 26 from 11:45 – 12:30 PM in the Music Room. All are invited to join.
- Sprouts Choir is for pre-K. Children will be introduced to music through pitch matching, singing of simple Christian songs, rhythm instruments, movement, and other fun activities utilizing the curriculum, Growing in Grace. Each week will focus on a theme, coordinating with scripture. This choir meets after American Lutheran School’s Monday sessions, from 1:00–1:45 PM. Please contact Minister of Music, David Sherman if you would like your child to participate.
Contemporary Music: Worship Team
Contact Director of Contemporary Music, Kenny James for information on participating in the Worship Team for Contemporary services in the Fellowship Hall (guitar, percussion, keyboards, bass, and other instruments; vocals).
Other Areas of Musical Interest & Opportunity
- Church orchestra
- Vocal soloist, vocal duet/trio/quartet, etc.
- Brass, woodwind and string ensembles
- Handbell solo, duet, and small ensemble
- Men’s and women’s choirs
- Piano accompanying
- Substitute organist
- Instrumental soloist